Red Tomato Sauce
- Olive Oil, 1/4 cup
- Crushed Red Tomatoes, 28 oz can(or less if the corporate bastards shortchanged you)
- Onion, one finely chopped
- Garlic, 2 crushed cloves or 2 teaspoons minced
- Fresh Herbs(finely chopped/crushed), rosemary, basil, marjoram, oregano
- Meat, if you want it in there
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Optional: balsamic vinegar and/or red wine
Heat up the olive oil to medium-high in a decent sized saucepan, say 3-4 quarts(by the way, if you've got truffle oil, this adds a really awesome flavor in addition to the olive oil). When hot, add onion and stir until fairly translucent. Then, add herbs and cook for another couple minutes.
Stir in the garlic as the last spice(garlic doesn't hold up too well under high heat), then add meat(if you're adding it) and cook till done.
Once the meat has cooked, add in your crushed tomato. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for no longer than 10 minutes. This gives the tomato sauce a really super fresh zesty tomato flavor.....if you try it and don't like it that way, then cook for 30 to 45 minutes next time.